Brazilians and fellow expats who lived in Brazil have had a long-standing love affair with this chocolate treat. It’s called Brigadeiro (bri-ga-DAY-roo) aka brazilian chocolate truffles or brazilian fudge balls ( I personally called it “diet plan exterminator” or “gourmet xanax”).
Once you let this silky, chocolatey, chewy treat melt in your mouth, you will wonder how you ever survived all your movie-watching couch moments without it! The recipe is surprisingly simple and requires only 4 ingredients.
This mouth-watering dessert was whipped up by Lu Teles, a Brazilian expat who lives in Tulsa, Oklahoma. She runs Cupcakes by Lu, an online sweet treat bakery shop, which has become the go-to for parties, weddings, and special occasions.
Directions for Brigadeiro Mixture:
Directions for shaping balls:
Brigadeiro spoon version
- 1 can sweet condensed milk
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 3 Tbsp 60% cacao bittersweet chocolate chips
- 2 cups 100% chocolate Belgium sprinkles
- Add condensed milk and butter to a thick-bottomed saucepan.
- Place the saucepan on medium/low to low heat.
- Stir non-stop until mixture starts to thicken to a heavy cream consistency.
- Add chocolate chips to condensed milk/butter mixture.
- Stir non-stop for 2 more minutes. The mixture is ready when it’s silky and the bottom of the saucepan shows when scraped with a spoon.
- Check for readiness by tilting the saucepan to see if the mixture detaches from the bottom.
- Stir for 1 more minute.
- Transfer the mixture to a shallow dish. Allow to cool completely for about 3 hours. If rushed for time, place in the freezer. Directions for shaping balls
- Lightly grease your hands with butter, scoop out a teaspoon of the cooled chocolate mixture, and roll it into a ball. Roll the ball in chocolate sprinkles until coated, and place into a small paper cup.
- Brigadeiro spoon version directions:
- Follow the same steps above, but remove from heat just after the mixture separates from the pan. Add 1/2 cup of heavy whipped cream and mix until well combined.
- Place a large spoon into a desert plate and pour brigadeiro mixture into it. Top with chocolate sprinkles and allow to cool. Options for toppings: Nuts, colorful sprinkles, fleur de lis salt